Noise. Nothing could be as annoying as considerable noise through your basement ceiling. This basement ceiling is an integral element connecting the first floor of your house. Insulating and soundproofing this ceiling helps improve your comfort and experience there. This step will also contribute to better energy efficiency ratings.
Minimal noise contributes to better sleep, health, and comfort levels. Yet, it would be best if you did not aim at achieving all these at the expense of your financial security. For this reason, ensure that you compare various affordable DIY soundproofing hacks, including the following.
Efficient and Cheap Ways to Soundproof Ceiling
Soundproofing the basement ceiling aims to reduce the noise that is usually transferred from the basement to adjacent rooms. It is an excellent way of addressing airborne and impact noise. Remember, the noise gets transmitted to and from the basement in three critical ways: flanking, airborne, and mechanical transmission.
Flanking noise travels in indirect paths, moving from room to room. It could also go from one-floor level to another. Airborne noise moves through airwaves. This means that it travels through various open spaces, including hallways, doors, and open windows.
In comparison, mechanical transmission refers to sound traveling through surfaces, including walls and floors. The following are cheap methods to soundproof your basement ceiling.
Further Reading: Need Affordable Soundproofing Materials?
Put Carpets and Mats on the Floor Above
Mats and carpets can significantly muffle sound, minimizing the noise transmitted to the basement. These mats help reduce impact noise, including footfalls, droppings, and dragged furniture. Usually, thicker rugs and carpets guarantee excellent returns, significantly minimizing the noise. You could also add a rubber mat beneath it for better sound absorption abilities.
Beyond that, you must invest in a great mat or carpet. For instance, Safavieh California Premium Shag assures you of enhanced thickness and better sound absorption. It also comes with a trendy style, readily blending into your interior décor. Its non-shedding design implies that it will last for a relatively long time.
- [NON-SHEDDING]: Expertly machine-woven from enhanced soft synthetic durable fibers that have a virtually non-shedding pile for ultimate convenience
- [PLUSH & COZY]: Features a 2-inch thick pile height for just the right amount of cozy cushioned softness underfoot
- [EASY MAINTENANCE & DURABLE]: Stress-free cleaning includes regular vacuuming (without a beater bar) and gently blotting out minor stains with a mild detergent or carpet cleaner
- [TRUSTED BRAND]: SAFAVIEH has been a trusted brand and leader in home furnishings for over 100 years, using their expertise in crafting trendy high-quality designs; Begin your rug search with Safavieh and explore over 100,000 products today
- Product Note : Rugs may contain temporary creases upon arrival, allow time for creases to flatten and settle
- Product Note : It is normal for some rugs to have a mild chemical odor when first opened, which will typically dissipate within 24 hours. If desired, place the rug near an open window or fan for the first few hours to help air it out.
You could also consider the Rubber-Cal Elephant bark floor mat. This is a rubber layer that you will put under the rug, boosting sound absorption abilities. It is easy to install and maintain. Besides, it is considered long-lasting.
- Ultra easy DIY installation without the need for messy adhesive or expensive installers
- Offers exceptional UV and water resistance, making them great outdoor floors for a balcony or a patio
- Green floor option that is available in 6 unique colors to conform to the aesthetics of any application
- An ideal exercise floor that provides impact protection and vibration reduction for home and commercial gyms
- Versatile recycled material ideal for garage mats, cellar floor covering, flooring or concrete basement floors, and even as dog kennel mats
- Length: 50ft, available in custom lengths ; Width: 48" ; Thickness: 5mm, 6.4mm, 9.5mm
Seal the Gaps in the Ceiling
One of the main sources of annoying noises in the basement is gaps and cracks. They allow chilly air and noise to enter, making the surroundings uncomfortable and noisy for you. It would be advantageous to caulk these openings and cracks, if possible. Keep in mind that noise in the basement cannot be eliminated unless all gaps and cracks are sealed.
However, ensure that you get reliable caulking seals for the best results. Thanks to its reliability and affordability, the 3M high-strength Small Hole Repair seal is a perfect choice. This material does not sag, shrink, or even crack. This product is designed for holes that measure no more than 3 inches in diameter. Besides, its lightweight nature adds no significant mass to the ceiling.
- MAKES REPAIRS 3X FASTER than traditional vinyl spackling
- QUICK AND EASY repair for nicks and nail holes
- FOR HOLE REPAIRS up to 3" in diameter
- PRIMER ENHANCED spackling compound for great hiding power
- RESISTS FLASHING of paint
- NO SHRINKING, cracking, or sagging
- LIGHTWEIGHT spackle compound
Add Acoustic Insulation
Acoustic insulation aims to prevent the entry and exit of sound within an enclosed space, often creating a barrier between the interior and the exterior. It requires that you insulate the joists, implying that it is suitable for ceilings with no drywall.
You’ll need the best acoustic insulation material, and the Sonic Acoustics Absorption Panel will be the best bet. It is stylish and excellent at absorbing echoes and sounds. This product is affordable, rigid, and it offers consistent firmness.
- [SUPERIOR SOUNDPROOFING]: Our Sound Dampening Panels are made from HIGH DENSITY 100% polyester fiber, 300lbs per cubic yard, better Sound Insulation than other soundproofing foam padding! Our acoustic foam panels are sound proofing and flame retardant, odorless, non-toxic, non-slip, corrosion resistant, and fade resistant.
- [STYLISH]: Stylish hexagonal honeycomb sound panels design doubles up as decorative wall art in your favorite space, which allows you to leave countless beautiful memories in a comfortable environment with our sound proof foam panels/sound absorbing panel.
- [EASY TO INSTALL]: Our soundproof wall panels can be easily installed using both general-purpose spray adhesive and double-sided tape. Simply attach spray adhesive or 3M double-sided tape (not included) to the back of each soundproof foam and adhere in the desired position.
- [WIDE APPLICATIONS]: Great for spot treating sound on walls in your studio or office - The perfect sound proofing padding for wall, recording studios, control rooms, offices, home studios, and home entertainment theaters, Easy to shape and cut to size, altering won't affect performance. Or use it on the ceiling, behind the TV or under your rug!
- [AFTER SERVICE WARRANTY]: Our US based customer service means that you can trust that if you are not satisfied for any reason, you can get a hassle-free refund or replacement.
Resilient Channels + Drywall
If you are looking for unrivaled noise dampening, resilient channels will be your best bet. These channels dissipate energy and reduce sound transmission by suspending your drywall. However, for enhanced effectiveness and acoustic performance, ensure that you do not put it between two layers of drywall.
This approach aims at creating a sound barrier by leaving a gap between the drywall and the ceiling. This way, the sound from the floor above will not travel via the drywall. That is because it gets distributed through resilient channels. Getting reliable resilient channels significantly minimizes noise transmission. Take the time to compare different options, allowing you to get value for your money.
You can barely overlook how effective and unique this noise-damping product is. You can choose from a range of products: noise-proofing compound, sealant, and clips. This green glue is an excellent alternative for acoustic caulk. It works by converting sound energy to small amounts of heat.
Also, Check The Best Green Glue Alternatives
The best green glue for your basement is the 28 fl. oz compound, which adds around 9 STC points. This compound is also relatively easy to install.
- 6 (28oz) tubes of Green Glue Damping Compound w/nozzles
- Big Wipes Cleanup Included - TMS Installation Guide Included
- Soundproof Walls/Floors/Ceilings with the highest rated damping compound
- Install between 2 layers of drywall/plywood to add up to 9 STC points!
Rearrange Furniture Above
Sometimes, the noise comes from various empty spaces on the floor above. Positioning heavy furniture directly above the basement could help minimize noise, as you will barely need to drag them time and again. Some of the heavy pieces of furniture to consider will include bookshelves, closets, and couches. Notably, rearranging furniture is the most affordable option, requiring no additional costs.
Alternatively called acoustic paint, soundproof paint is a thick paint that helps control noise pollution reaching the basement. It is often a water-based viscoelastic paint that dries relatively fast, assuring you of incredible abilities to dampen sound, vibrations, and noises. Its thickness helps eliminate up to 30% of the sound passing through the walls. However, you could apply multiple layers for better results.
You cannot go wrong with the Acousti Coat paint. It is non-toxic and easy to apply. Its excellent sound absorption abilities will ensure that the basement remains considerably quiet.
- Acousti-Coat is a thick, soft coating designed to act as a 'sound sponge'. Deadens sound within the area / room the sound is created in. For sound coming from other areas, use our SC 1000. Use Acousti Coat and your neighbors hear you less. Use SC 1000 and you hear your neighbors less.
- Product is designed to reduce echo and uncomfortable high frequency sounds. Ideal for home theaters, offices, meeting rooms, churches, convention areas, concert halls, etc
- Coverage is 50 square feet per gallon for the minimum two coats required. This means unless you are applying to a small 50 square foot area, one gallon isn't enough.
- ThermaCels included in this paint! This provides insulation properties as well. Do not add additional ThermaCels additive to this product.
- White Flat Finish. Can be tinted using universal colorants, to light or medium shades. If a darker color is required it can be painted over but a very cheap flat interior paint must be used. Using a high quality paint will seal the surface of the 'sound sponge' and diminish results.
Mass-loaded vinyl comes in the form of super-dense rubber. While it is a little heavy, it is flexible enough to allow for easier installation. Installing it provides you with better STC values. Remember, this option assures you of reflective sound abilities, meaning that noise will bounce off its surface.
The best MLV product is the TMS Soundproofing Padding. Its premium-quality material guarantees durability and reliability. This material comes with an STC rating of approximately 27. In addition, the TMS padding is easy to install, saving you time and effort.
- Premium Quality Material [PVC based not EVA]: These vinyl sheets are made in the US with superior quality, highly durable extruded virgin material, weighing 1 pound per square foot, with 1/8” thickness and STC rating of 27. A heavy-duty, long lasting texture guaranteed to withstand the test of time without easily tearing! Best Seller, Over 2 Million square feed sold!
- The Perfect Solution: Whether for walls ceilings, ducts or pipes, studio projects, movie theaters or residential applications, the TMS sound proof padding is a smart, affordable solution which creates a highly effective noise barrier without implying major costs, expensive handymen or your precious time.
- Safety Comes First: The TMS soundproofing material contains no re-grinded or recycled material and avoids the use of dangerous chemicals, out of consideration for your health. No need to worry about weird odors affecting your comfort!
- Professional Grade: This sound absorbing panel has a dual function depending on your needs, helping create a quiet environment as well as quieter machinery enclosures or products. Optimally balancing mass and stiffness, this MLV is a professional grade mass layer and damper for a wide variety of noises
- Easy DIY Installation: Unlike similar products on the market, this noise block allows a user-friendly installation without demanding additional costs. Our soundproof padding arrives with clear and easy to understand instructions. If you require further assistance, we are constantly at your service!
Your basement should be your haven. Whether you want to use it as a home theater or a living room, it should not be susceptible to too much noise. Fortunately, the approaches mentioned above offer you an easy way out.
Last update on 2023-05-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API