Noise. Nothing could be as annoying as considerable noise through your basement ceiling. This basement ceiling is an integral element connecting the first floor of your house. Insulating and soundproofing this ceiling helps improve your comfort and experience there. This step will also contribute to better energy efficiency ratings.
Minimal noise contributes to better sleep, health, and comfort levels. Yet, it would be best if you did not aim at achieving all these at the expense of your financial security. For this reason, ensure that you compare various affordable DIY soundproofing hacks, including the following.
Efficient and Cheap Ways to Soundproof Ceiling
Soundproofing the basement ceiling aims to reduce the noise that is usually transferred from the basement to adjacent rooms. It is an excellent way of addressing airborne and impact noise. Remember, the noise gets transmitted to and from the basement in three critical ways: flanking, airborne, and mechanical transmission.
Flanking noise travels in indirect paths, moving from room to room. It could also go from one-floor level to another. Airborne noise moves through airwaves. This means that it travels through various open spaces, including hallways, doors, and open windows.
In comparison, mechanical transmission refers to the sound traveling through surfaces, including walls and floors. The following are cheap methods to soundproof your basement ceiling.
Further Reading: Need Affordable Soundproofing Materials?
Put Carpets and Mats on the Floor Above
Mats and carpets can significantly muffle sound, minimizing the noise transmitted to the basement. These mats help reduce impact noise, including footfalls, droppings, and dragged furniture. Usually, thicker rugs and carpets guarantee you excellent returns, significantly minimizing the noise. You could also add a rubber mat beneath it for better sound absorption abilities.
Beyond that, you must invest in a great mat or carpet. For instance, Safavieh California Premium Shag assures you of enhanced thickness and better sound absorption. It also comes with a trendy style, readily blending into your interior décor. Its non-shedding design implies that it will last for a relatively long time.
- [NON-SHEDDING]: Expertly machine-woven from enhanced soft synthetic durable fibers that have a virtually non-shedding pile for ultimate convenience
- [PLUSH & COZY]: Features a 2-inch thick pile height for just the right amount of cozy cushioned softness underfoot
- [TRENDY STYLE]: Design beautifully enhances any room of the home, from the living room, dining room, bedroom, entryway, nursery, kid's room, playroom, dorm room, study, or home office
- [EASY MAINTENANCE & DURABLE]: Stress-free cleaning includes regular vacuuming (without a beater bar) and gently blotting out minor stains with a mild detergent or carpet cleaner
- [TRUSTED BRAND]: SAFAVIEH has been a trusted brand and leader in home furnishings for over 100 years, using their expertise in crafting trendy high-quality designs; Begin your rug search with Safavieh and explore over 100,000 products today
You could also consider the Rubber-Cal Elephant bark floor mat. This is a rubber layer that you will put under the rug, boosting sound absorption abilities. It is easy to install and maintain. Besides, it is considered long-lasting.
- Ultra easy DIY installation without the need for messy adhesive or expensive installers
- Offers exceptional UV and water resistance, making them great outdoor floors for a balcony or a patio
- Green floor option that is available in 6 unique colors to conform to the aesthetics of any application
- An ideal exercise floor that provides impact protection and vibration reduction for home and commercial gyms
- Versatile recycled material ideal for garage mats, cellar floor covering, flooring or concrete basement floors, and even as dog kennel mats
Seal the Gaps on the Ceiling
Gaps and cracks are some of the biggest causes of unwanted noises in the basement. They let in noise and cold breezes, meaning that you end up uncomfortable and in a loud environment. It would be beneficial to seal these gaps and cracks, preferably using caulking materials. Remember, unless you fill all holes and cracks, you cannot eliminate noise in the basement.
However, ensure that you get reliable caulking seals for the best results. Thanks to its reliability and affordability, the 3M high-strength Small Hole Repair seal is a perfect choice. This material does not sag, shrink, or even crack. This product is designed for holes that measure no more than 3 inches in diameter. Besides, its lightweight nature adds no significant mass to the ceiling.
- Makes repairs 3x faster than traditional vinyl spackling
- Quick and easy repair for nicks and nail holes
- For hole repairs up to 3 Inch in diameter. Form: Putty
- Primer enhanced spackling compound for great hiding power
- Resists flashing of paint
Add Acoustic Insulation
Acoustic insulation aims to prevent the entry and exit of sound within an enclosed space, often creating a barrier between the interior and the exterior. It requires that you insulate the joists, implying that it is suitable for ceilings with no drywall.
You’ll need the best acoustic insulation material, and the Sonic Acoustics Absorption Panel will be the best bet. It is stylish and excellent at absorbing echoes and sounds. This product is affordable, rigid, and it offers consistent firmness.
- [SUPERIOR SOUNDPROOFING]: Made from HIGH DENSITY 100% polyester fiber, 300lbs per cubic yard, better Sound Insulation than soundproofing foam! Sound proofing and flame retardant, odorless, non-toxic, non-slip, corrosion resistant, and fade resistant.
- [STYLISH]: 12'' X 14'' X 0.4''. Stylish hexagonal honey comb panel design doubles up as a decorative wall art in your favorite space, which allows you to leave countless beautiful memories in a comfortable environment.
- [EASY TO INSTALL]: Both general purpose spray adhesive and double-sided tape work. Simply attach spray adhesive or 3M double sided tape (not included) to the back of each panel and adhere in the desired position.
- [WIDE APPLICATIONS]: Great for spot treating sound on walls in your studio or office - For use in recording studios, control rooms, Offices home studios, home entertainment theaters, Home Offices. Easy to shape and cut to size, altering won’t affect performance. Or use it on the ceiling, behind the TV or under your rug!
- [AFTER SERVICE WARRANTY]: Our US based customer service means that you can trust that if you’re not satisfied for any reason, you can get a hassle-free refund or replacement.
Resilient Channels + Drywall
If you are looking for unrivaled noise dampening, resilient channels will be your best bet. These channels dissipate energy and reduce sound transmission by suspending your drywall. However, for enhanced effectiveness and acoustic performance, ensure that you do not put it between two layers of drywall.
This approach aims at creating a sound barrier by leaving a gap between the drywall and the ceiling. This way, the sound from the floor above will not travel via the drywall. That is because it gets distributed through resilient channels. Getting reliable resilient channels significantly minimizes noise transmission. Take the time to compare different options, allowing you to get value for your money.
You can barely overlook how effective and unique this noise-damping product is. You can choose from a range of products: noise-proofing compound, sealant, and clips. This green glue is an excellent alternative for acoustic caulk. It works by converting sound energy to small amounts of heat.
Also, Check The Best Green Glue Alternatives
The best green glue for your basement is the 28 fl. oz compound, which adds around 9 STC points. This compound is also relatively easy to install.
- 6 (28oz) tubes of Green Glue Damping Compound w/nozzles
- Big Wipes Cleanup Included - TMS Installation Guide Included
- Soundproof Walls/Floors/Ceilings with the highest rated damping compound
- Install between 2 layers of drywall/plywood to add up to 9 STC points!
Rearrange Furniture Above
Sometimes, the noise comes from various empty spaces from the floor above. Positioning heavy furniture directly above the basement could help minimize noise, as you will barely need to drag them time and again. Some of the heavy pieces of furniture to consider will include bookshelves, closets, and couches. Notably, rearranging furniture is the most affordable option, requiring no additional costs.
Alternatively called acoustic paint, soundproof paint is a thick paint that helps control noise pollution reaching the basement. It is often a water-based viscoelastic paint that dries relatively fast, assuring you of incredible abilities to dampen sound, vibrations, and noises. Its thickness helps eliminate up to 30% of the sound passing through the walls. However, you could apply multiple layers for better results.
You cannot go wrong with the Acousti Coat paint. It is non-toxic and easy to apply. Its excellent sound absorption abilities will ensure that the basement remains considerably quiet.
- ✅ Dampens ringing, echo and tinning noise
- ✅ Environmentally friendly and non-toxic
- ✅ Can be applied by brush, roller or spray (use a hopper spray gun)
- ✅ Easily cleaned with soap and water
- ✅ Bright White - Flat Finish
Mass-loaded vinyl comes in the form of super-dense rubber. While it is a little heavy, it is flexible enough to allow for easier installation. Installing it provides you with better STC values. Remember, this option assures you of reflective sound abilities, meaning that noise will bounce off its surface.
The best MLV product is the TMS Soundproofing Padding. Its premium-quality material guarantees durability and reliability. This material comes with an STC rating of approximately 27. In addition, the TMS padding is easy to install, saving you time and effort.
- Premium Quality Material [PVC based not EVA]: These vinyl sheets are made in the US with superior quality, highly durable extruded virgin material, weighing 1 pound per square foot, with 1/8” thickness and STC rating of 27. A heavy-duty, long lasting texture guaranteed to withstand the test of time without easily tearing! Best Seller, Over 2 Million square feed sold!
- The Perfect Solution: Whether for walls ceilings, ducts or pipes, studio projects, movie theaters or residential applications, the TMS sound proof padding is a smart, affordable solution which creates a highly effective noise barrier without implying major costs, expensive handymen or your precious time.
- Safety Comes First: The TMS soundproofing material contains no re-grinded or recycled material and avoids the use of dangerous chemicals, out of consideration for your health. No need to worry about weird odors affecting your comfort!
- Professional Grade: This sound absorbing panel has a dual function depending on your needs, helping create a quiet environment as well as quieter machinery enclosures or products. Optimally balancing mass and stiffness, this MLV is a professional grade mass layer and damper for a wide variety of noises
- Easy DIY Installation: Unlike similar products on the market, this noise block allows a user-friendly installation without demanding additional costs. Our soundproof padding arrives with clear and easy to understand instructions. If you require further assistance, we are constantly at your service!
Your basement should be your haven. Whether you want to use it as a home theater or a living room, it should not be susceptible to too much noise. Fortunately, the approaches mentioned above offer you an easy way out.
Last update on 2022-04-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API