Excellent soundproofing requires premium-quality materials. Yet, the assumption is that you can barely get these materials affordably. This assumption has forced many people to refrain from DIY projects that would have otherwise been invaluable.
Yet, various affordable soundproofing options are available today. Here are a few insights into the most affordable soundproofing options.
The Ultimate List of Affordable Soundproofing Materials
The following is a comprehensive list of the most affordable soundproofing materials you could consider.
Green glue is a popular noise-proofing sealant. It enhances sound damping through sound energy dissipation. You can use it in renovations, remodelings, and new construction projects. This option is suitable for the ceiling, walls, and floors. You’ll place it between the layers of drywall, where it’ll absorb various soundwaves.
Green glue comes in different ways: clips, sealant, joist tape, and noise-proofing compound. Each of these elements is affordable and eco-friendly. In most cases, people use the green glue sealant alongside the soundproofing compound. In addition, each element has a specific purpose.
Further Reading: What’s Your Best Choice for Green Glue Alternatives?
For example, the green glue sealant is an excellent choice for sealing gaps and cracks on surfaces. You can paint it, meaning it is easy to make openings and cracks less visible. Besides not taking a long time to dry, this option has no unpleasant smell.
If you want to soundproof your floor, green glue joist tape will be an ideal choice. This tape helps cover cracks and prevent noise, sounds, and squeaks. You’ll place it between the floor and the joists.
Installing green glue is significantly straightforward, making it an excellent DIY choice. If you are looking for the best green glue option, these green glue noise-proofing compound tubes will offer you value for your money.
- 6 (28oz) tubes of Green Glue Damping Compound w/nozzles
- Big Wipes Cleanup Included - TMS Installation Guide Included
- Soundproof Walls/Floors/Ceilings with the highest rated damping compound
- Install between 2 layers of drywall/plywood to add up to 9 STC points!
Metal Resilient Channels
Resilient channels are an exceptional choice widely used in new construction projects. They are best suited for soundproofing houses and buildings with multiple rooms. Usually, you’ll use them to hang drywall, where they thicken the layer, eliminating noise.
Always aim for investing in a reliable and effective option. The best choice would be the Auralex RC8 Resilient Channel. It significantly eliminates noise transmission during construction and remodeling projects.
- Reduces sound transmission from room during construction
- Product is used to hang drywall instead of attaching to studs
- RC-8 is made from 25 Gauge Steel
- Installation information provided
- Decouples drywall layer from the supporting stud structure to reduce sound transmission through walls
For excellent results, it would help if you used double layers. This move increases the thickness level, reducing the transmission through ceilings and walls. You could also consider installing the Auralex Sheet Blok between the two layers.
Resilient soundproofing sound clips are a popular choice for decoupling one side of a structure from the other. This move allows for each side to vibrate independently, significantly eliminating sound transmission. In essence, soundproofing sound clips help create a floating ceiling or wall.
For unmatched results, it would be best to use these sound clips alongside hat channels. This coupling assures you of impeccable reliability and sound elimination. While you might spend a little more to couple sound clips with hat channels, it assures you of value for money and less sagging.
When choosing sound clips, focus on their STC rating. A high STC rating assures you of incredible soundproofing abilities.
Yet, the effectiveness of sound clips will always vary with the product you choose. Adding other soundproofing materials, including sound attenuation blankets, will always help. One of the best sound clips to consider would be the RSIC-1 Resilient Sound Clip. It offers reliability, impressive soundproof abilities, and enhanced longevity.
- Contains 10 RSIC-1 clips plus 10 Mounting Screws and TMS Installation guide
- For use on wood framed, steel framed, CMU or concrete, ceiling/walls assembly
- Gain up to 15 STC Points in sound reduction! Great for impact sound elimination
- UL Fire rated
- 36 pound load per clip (can support 2 5/8" drywall layers) when spaced 24" x 48"
You could also refer to it as acoustic paint. This spray paint aims to control the noise reaching your house, making it an excellent option for your interior. This paint is thicker but dries relatively fast. Its thickness comes from the ceramic microspheres and absorbing fillers it has. It is also non-hazardous, assuring you of your safety.
Its fillers feature tiny vacuum sealed cells, often with a soft pigment. This pigment helps divert the sound waves and at the same time absorbs those that hit the wall. Through this, there will be minimal noise across the room.
You do not need to paint the entire room or house. Instead, focus on the areas that might allow in too much noise. It will also be best to apply multiple layers of acoustic paint, enhancing the effectiveness.
The most important thing is to choose the right soundproof paint. It will be best to pick something that offers reliability, impressive STC ratings, and enhanced safety. You could consider the Acousti Coat Sound Deadening Gallon.
- ✅ Dampens ringing, echo and tinning noise
- ✅ Environmentally friendly and non-toxic
- ✅ Can be applied by brush, roller or spray (use a hopper spray gun)
- ✅ Easily cleaned with soap and water
- ✅ Bright White - Flat Finish
Mass Loaded Vinyl MLV
You can rely on mass-loaded vinyl to soundproof your walls or ceilings. It is a rubber-like material that is relatively high-density, making it easier to absorb noise. This product is viscoelastic, meaning that it exhibits both viscous elastic characteristics. Besides being non-toxic, this material helps improve the STC values of any surface or wall.
Its flexibility makes it an excellent choice for movie theaters, home studios, and even the garage. While it could be a little heavy, its installation process is straightforward.
The idea is to select a product that offers impressive STC ratings. You could consider the Loaded Soundproofing Barrier, thanks to its impeccable performance.
Related: Best alternatives of mass loaded vinyl for soundproofing
- Premium Quality Material [PVC based not EVA]: These vinyl sheets are made in the US with superior quality, highly durable extruded virgin material, weighing 1 pound per square foot, with 1/8” thickness and STC rating of 27. A heavy-duty, long lasting texture guaranteed to withstand the test of time without easily tearing! Best Seller, Over 2 Million square feed sold!
- The Perfect Solution: Whether for walls ceilings, ducts or pipes, studio projects, movie theaters or residential applications, the TMS sound proof padding is a smart, affordable solution which creates a highly effective noise barrier without implying major costs, expensive handymen or your precious time.
- Safety Comes First: The TMS soundproofing material contains no re-grinded or recycled material and avoids the use of dangerous chemicals, out of consideration for your health. No need to worry about weird odors affecting your comfort!
- Professional Grade: This sound absorbing panel has a dual function depending on your needs, helping create a quiet environment as well as quieter machinery enclosures or products. Optimally balancing mass and stiffness, this MLV is a professional grade mass layer and damper for a wide variety of noises
- Easy DIY Installation: Unlike similar products on the market, this noise block allows a user-friendly installation without demanding additional costs. Our soundproof padding arrives with clear and easy to understand instructions. If you require further assistance, we are constantly at your service!
Ceiling Sound Baffles
If you are looking for a relatively affordable acoustic ceiling treatment, ceiling sound baffles will be an ideal choice. They come with fiberglass, which offers excellent sound absorption.
You can rely on them for large spaces or limited wall spaces. These elements help provide excellent noise absorption. They will also assure you of outstanding intelligibility and clarity. Typically, ceiling sound baffles ensure that there is minimal reverberation and echoes.
Further Reading: The Best Way to Soundproof the Basement Ceiling Affordably
Ceiling sound baffles are designed to absorb direct sound, reflections from ceilings, and higher wall sections.
Most people prefer using the ATS Acoustic panel, thanks to its high absorption rate. This product boasts a unique textured fabric, making it suitable for studios, living rooms, and auditoriums. It comes in multiple colors and is long-lasting, providing you with value for your money.
- Provides clearer, more enjoyable sound by effectively controlling unwanted reverb and echo.
- Superior sound absorption: NRC 1.0 out of 1.
- Attractive, textured fabric complements studios, auditoriums, and living spaces.
- Built to last with a solid wood internal frame that protects edges and corners from dents and damage.
- Furniture-quality design and workmanship. Handcrafted in the USA.
Flooring underlayment is a relatively thin layer that sits between the subfloor and the actual floor. It could be made from felt, rubber, foam, or fiber. These materials boast significant sound absorption abilities. This means that you can rely on the underlayment for enhanced insulation, noise elimination, impressive cushioning, and minimal wear.
You’ll choose between rigid and soft underlayments. These rigid underlayments come above the subfloor. They could be made of plywood, underlayment panels, cement board, or orient-strand boards. In contrast, soft floor underlayments are sheets made from either cork or foam.
The best floor underlayment to consider would be the Roberts 70-193A. It comes in handy on engineered wood and laminate floorings. Its STC rating of 66 makes it an excellent sound dampener.
- For use with engineered wood and laminate flooring
- Provides cushion over concrete and wood subfloors
- 360-Feet square roll.The IIC and STC tests measure sound transference from an upper level room to a lower level room. The IIC measures sound such as moving furniture and walking, while the STC measures sound such as voices and television.
- Sound Transmission Lost Test (STC) rating of 66
- Impact Sound Transmission Test (IIC) rating of 67
Sound Isolation Foam
Sound isolation foams, alternatively called acoustic foam, helps attenuate the airborne sound waves. They aim to reduce the amplitude of the sound waves, enhancing noise reduction and control. These waves are converted, dissipating as heat energy. This product comes in many colors and thicknesses. This allows you to choose one that appeals to your interior better.
Fiberglass isolation foams are some of the best in the market. For instance, you could consider the Auralex Acoustics Studiofoam. It offers excellent acoustic reflections, is affordable, and with an impressive fire rating.
Applying the sound isolation foam is relatively straightforward. It is pretty similar to the normal insulation process.
- Great performance at a low cost
- Smaller panels offer more options for placement and design
- Class B fire rating
- NRC of .80
- Includes: (24) 2” x 12” x 12” Thick Studiofoam Panels" "- 24 Square Feet"
If your room is susceptible to noise from vibrations, it will help if you invested in anti-vibration pads. These pads boast enhanced effectiveness when it comes to protecting the room from external vibrations. You’ll place them under large machines or running equipment, providing them with a relatively even surface. This surface aims to absorb every vibration from the pads.
Ensure that you choose suitable anti-vibration pads. If you are looking fr value for your money, the best bet will be the 4 Pack of Anti Vibration Pads. These pads are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. You can place under compressors, treadmills, and stereo equipment.
- 4 pack of Anti Vibration pads Rubber & Cork 50 PSI max load
- Applications are endless.... Air Compressors, HVAC, Stereo Equipment, Treadmills etc etc
- Designed for Indoor & outdoor applications
- Alternate Rib Height for Additional Vibration Isolation Under Both High and Low Weight Loads
- Designed to Resist Aging, Compression Set, Water & Oil
Soundproof panels are acoustic panels that help control reverberation, vibration, and echoes in the room. You’ll rely on these panels to improve speech intelligibility and clarity. In most cases, these panels come with compressed mineral wool. It boasts significant sound absorption abilities. You could also consider perforated wood or wrapped panels.
One of the best soundproof panels to consider is the Forna 20mm Ledge Stone Cork. This product is designed to enhance sound diffusion, eliminate reflection, and minimize echo. Besides, it boasts excellent fire resistance, thanks to the cork.
- ★★★ 25/32” (20mm) Acoustic insulation cork wall panels - 11 tiles (22.71sq.ft) per box acoustic cork wall tiles, each tile is 25/32″ (20mm) x 9 29/64” (240mm) x 31 ½” (800mm) in size. One Tile = 2.07 sf
- ★★★ Uneven brick-layered design allows for sound diffusion and reduce echo and reflection for absorb high and mid frequencies sound for home studios, musicians’ room, recording studio commercial or home office, rehearsal space, dance studio or home theatre.
- ★★★ Forna cork wall panels are handmade to create a natural looking Ledge Stone-like appearance.
- ★★★ Natural and sustainable, cork keeps the world green. Cork offers a wide range of benefits and these arise mainly because of the unique structure of cork. Cork is a natural material, harvested from the bark of the living cork oak tree. This makes it a sustainable resource that will help keep our world ‘green’. Cork has a natural beauty rivaled by few other natural materials.
- ★★★ Cork has fire-resistant properties. Cork is protected by a waxy substance called Suberin, that is generated naturally in cork bark. This substance is what makes cork water resistant and fire retardant. These properties help in case of a fire as cork is slower to catch flame and no harmful gasses are produced in the event it does, during the burning process.
Everyone wants to live in a relatively quiet environment. You are no exception. In your pursuit of this tranquility, it would be best to invest in the best soundproofing materials. The products mentioned above are pretty affordable, yet they assure you of enhanced soundproof effectiveness, safety, and durability.
Last update on 2022-04-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API